It all started from a backyard in Viborg, in 1923. Søren Laursen, an young and fine journeyman painter, who was born, grow up and had served he's apprenticeship in Kjellerup, returned after four years to he's hometown, Viborg. At first he worked as a journeyman, for the well-known master painter Jensenius Jacobsen, Viborg.
He since decided to realize, some of the things he had learned at master painters in France, Swiss, Austria and Germany in his own company. Therefore he rented some buildings by car dealer Hans Taul in St. Sct. Peder Stræde 4 (Tauls yard). In an advertisement, in Viborg public magazine, from march 1923 he recommended himself with the words "finest execution of all painting. Speciality: Car painting." In 1964 the company moved to, that time, new industrial area between Ringvejen and Marsk Stigs vej in Viborg. Gardit A/S bought a big area on Erik Glippingsvej and the first new modern workshop buildings were constructed.
Søren Laursen was a fine, versatile workman, and despite the not favourable times, he really got a good business going. After just four years the buildings in Tauls yard became too small, so he moved his company to larger buildings in Grønnegade 9. It was not just traditional painting and car painting, the company worked with, but also industrial painting. Early the paint brush was replaced by the spray gun.
The son as partner
In 1947 Søren Laursens son, Hans Jørgen Laursen, entered the company as partner and the company changed its name to Søren Laursen & Sons paint firm. Hans Jørgen Laursen has had his apprentice ship at the father and at a master painter in Sønderborg. He got his journeyman certificate at the local technical school, after completing his final test in three different subjects: car-, building- and sign-wailer. Later he acquired new skills at the master school in Odense, for three winters.
The place in Grønnegade also got to small, and therefore the company bought Schneevoigts closed machine buildings in Jyllandsgade. The old buildings got rebuild, and the 18. December 1954 the new workshop opened. Now they offered car painting, stove painting, sandblasting, sign factory et cetera. In the following years, the traditional paint jobs got in the shadow of car painting, industrial painting and later on, also other surface treatments of different kinds. The name of the company has also been changed to Gardit A/S..
To the industrial area
After 10 good years in Jyllandsgade, Gardit A/S again needed more space. In 1964 the company moved to, that time, new industrial area between Ringvejen and Marsk Stigs vej in Viborg. Gardit A/S bought a big area on Erik Glippingsvej and the first new modern workshop buildings were constructed.
In the following years, other workshops was constructed, when Gardit A/S took over Karl Besteds former potato central. Now Gardit A/S have 6.500 square miles of buildings on Erik Glippingsvej in Viborg.
The son's entered
In 1973, Hans Jørgen Laursens two sons, Jens Thyge Laursen and confidential clerk Søren Claes Laursen, were made partners in the company. The founder of the company, Søren Laursen, died in 1976 and in the late 80'es Hans Jørgen Laursen started to retire.
Today Jens Thyge Laursen and Søren Claes Laursen share the leader responsibility. The first mentioned, who is an educated painter, leads the department in Herning, and Søren Claes Laursen, who has a business economist back ground, work in the head office in Viborg.
Besides the work with the company, they have also engaged themselves in union and organisationally work. Søren Laursen was co-founder of and in many years president for the Danish automobile painters, like Hans Jørgen Laursen for many years, among other things, was president for Danish Work and master of a guild in the local painting fraternity.